Espasol is a cylinder-shaped delicacy made from rice flour, cooked in coconut milk and rolled in toasted rice flour. A favorite pasalubong for both kids and to the young at heart.
It looks easy to cook..but be forwarned because it may take 30 minutes or so to mix while cooking the flour. You might need an extra muscle as the flour cooks and becomes very sticky. Some even use a large wok and they put in the floor while cooking.
For the flavors, don’t limit yourself to varieties like Ube Espasol, Pandan flavors, Mango etc. The main secret ingredients is the Mochiko flour brand but if its not available.. any glutinous flour is ok too.
2 cups glutinous rice flour (toasted)
2 cups coconut milk
1-1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes (toasted) (shredded coconut meat)
1/4 cup sweet rice flour (toasted) for dusting & coating only
1/8 cup or 1/4 cup water (if needed)
1. Toast the glutinous rice flour until light brown in color. Set aside.
2. In a separate pan, toast the sweetened coconut flakes. Set aside.
3. In a wok, combine coconut milk and sugar. Bring to a boil. Continue stirring in medium heat for 5 minutes.
4. Add toasted sweetened coconut flakes and vanilla. Cook in low heat for 5 minutes.
5. Add glutinous rice flour and stir continuously. Cook until the mixture becomes thick and quite dry. Set aside. (about 30 minutes)
Note: If the mixtures gets dry immediately after combining the glutinous rice flour, you can add 1/8 cup or 1/4 cup water.
While waiting for the mixture to cool down, toast the sweet rice flour until color turns light brown.
Transfer the mixture into a board or flat surface dusted with toasted sweet flour and flatten it using a rolling pin.
Divide the mixture into parts or sizes according to your preference. To shape it into perfect cylinder, use plastic gloves dusted with flour and roll it with your palm while the espasol is on a dusted tray.
Once you get the desired shape. Roll over the sliced mixture into the toasted sweet flour. Wrap it individually in paper with extra flour.
You can also serve it in tray or bilao in any occasions like fiesta, handaan or simple house party. Everybody will surely enjoy each espasol.
Happy Cooking! Enjoy your espasol making!