What makes Pork Caldereta different from Afritada? The liver gives it a different kick and the green olives gives it a very slight sweet sour tinge. The perfect combination of tomato sauce, liver and other ingredients makes it taste so delicious and distinct from other recipe made of tomato sauce.
Delicious Pork Caldereta
- 1 kilogram pork with bones and skin, cut into serving pieces
- 2 medium size red/green bell pepper, cut into wedges
- 2 medium size potato, cut into wedges
- 2 small carrot, sliced, optional
- 1 small can liver spread
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns, crushed
- 2 medium size onion, chopped
- 1/2 head garlic, chopped
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 2-3 pcs siling labuyo/hot chili
- 3 bay leaf
- 1 cup green olives (optional)
- cooking oil
- In a large saucepan put pork add enough water to cover meat, boil quickly for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from pan and discard liquid, rinse pork with running water to remove all scum, drain and keep aside.
- Using same saucepan, sauté garlic and onion, add meat and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, hot sauce and stir cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add pineapple juice, 6-8 cups of water, ground peppercorns and bay leaf bring to a boil and simmer for 30 -45 minutes or until pork are tender, add more water as necessary.
- Add potatoes, carrots, olives and continue to simmer for 3-5 minutes or potatoes/carrots are cook and just enough sauce remains.
- Add liver spread, cheddar cheese and hot chili, cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and season with salt to taste, cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add cornstarch diluted in 1/2 cup of water and stir untl sauce thicken.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!