These Puto Pandan are my favorites..the pandan flavor is a classic Filipino favorite in any kakanin we make. You can add a flare of itlog na pula slices (salted eggs) or cheese strips to make it more tasty. Recipe updated with salted eggs October 12, 2020.
Puto Pandan with Salted Eggs
2 cups cake flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs (beaten)
1 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup melted butter
3 itlog na pula (salted eggs), peeled and sliced thinly
2 tablespoon pandan flavoring
1 drop food coloring of choice (green)
1. Sift dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and sugar) and combine in one large bowl.
2. Combine wet ingredients (milk, coconut milk, butter, eggs) in another smaller bowl. Mix.
3. Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients. Add the flavoring and food coloring. Mix well.
4. Spoon the batter into the muffin pan/cupcake molds, until just about full.
5. Place a slice of itlog na pula or cheese on top of each puto.
6. Steam for about 7 minutes. Make sure to place a cheesecloth in between the puto cups and the lid of the steamer. This will help prevent water drippings onto your puto.
7. Carefully remove cheese cloth and prevent water drippings on your puto. This is the make or break of all your work. If water drips on it, it will turn into kutchinta and it will shrink down
*If you use rice flour. It will give a stickier texture.
*If you use carabao (water buffalo) milk instead of evaporated milk. It will be creamier!
*Try adding a small cube of cream cheese and placing them in the puto molds right before you pour the batter in.
*Make sure that the water in the steamer is boiling before you put your filled muffin pans/ puto molds in.
*Silicon molds are the easiest to use. You can just pop the putos out without waiting for them to cool, and you can cram as many as you like in the steamer. Saves space compared to muffin pans!
You may also try our:
Thanks for dropping by our website! Did you try cooking one of our recipe? Send us your food photo or feedback. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: ma*********@gm***.com or message us on our Facebook Page.