Puto con Yema is a delicious dulce de leche filled puto. Surprise your guests with your unique puto filled with yema inside. You can also top it with slices of cheese. Just put slices of cheese before steaming or even slices of salted eggs for an added saltiness and brings out the burst sweet yema inside the puto.
PUTO CON YEMA RECIPE
2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup condensed Milk
1 1/3 cup White Sugar
1 cup Water
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 cup Melted Butter (Unsalted)
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 can Dulce De Leche, recipe below (or just use a regular yema spread)
1. In a dry mixing bowl, put together the flour, baking powder,& salt. For a smooth texture, sift the flour mixture.
2. Using other medium bowl, combine the milk, sugar, vanilla, water, and the melted butter. Blend until mixture is smooth.
3. Combine the 2 prepared mixtures above and ensure there are no lumps in the batter.
4. To save time, you can prepare the steamer and put the water to boiling point
5. Add 1/4 mixture in the mold, then put 1/2 teaspoon of yema/Dulce de Leche in the center of mold, then add another layer of batter on top (leave a small allowance 3/4 full)
6. Steam for about 15 to 20 minutes and cover your steamer with clean cloth or foil to prevent water drippings on puto. Make sure no water will drip on puto or it will go limp like kutchinta.
7. Once the inserted toothpick comes out clean, then it’s done. Enjoy!
Note: Make sure the Dulce De Leche is cooled and thick (medyo malapot at makapal but spreadable), so it wont dissolved in the batter. If its over cooked, it will turn into a hard candy.
FOR DULCE DE LECHE FILLING:
395g cans sweetened condensed milk (Alaska yellow label)
1. Pour a can of condensed milk into a small saucepan (preferably non stick).
2. Over a medium-low heat, continuously stir and mix to make sure it doesnt burn or stick on the pan. Stir until it becomes thick and it doesn’t fall off when you dip a spoon and lift it.
3. Turn off heat and transfer into a bowl. Let it cool before putting in your puto molds. Make sure it doesn’t turn into hard candy, consistency should just be exact. Thick and spreadable.