Yummy, healthy and delicious Spring Rolls made from the heart of banana blossoms. Simple vegetable recipe with a cheesy take. Its budget-friendly and healthy too. Happy cooking!
Cheesy Lumpiang Puso ng Saging
(roughly making 4 cups Cheesy Puso ng Saging Lumpia)
- 1-2 puso ng saging (roughly making 4 cups when chopped),
- 1 white onion (thinly sliced),
- 2 siling pangsigang (seeds removed & washed)
- 3 cloves garlic (pounded and minced),
- ½ kilo ground pork,
- 2 tbsp. oyster sauce,
- ½ cup grated cheese
- 1 large egg (2 if small)
- lumpia wrapper (this recipe makes 40 small pieces or more)
- 1-2 siling labuyo, optional
- First, remove the tough outer part of the banana heart until you reached the the white inner core.
- Chop thinly and soak in cold water for 10 minutes. Squeeze dry then set aside.
- On a pan over medium heat, saute onions and garlic. Add ground pork. Once cooked, add banana heart and chili.
- Add 1 cup water and bring everything to a boil. Once banana heart is soft and tender and water has dried up, add oyster sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a large bowl (use strainer to drain out the remaining liquid), add egg, cheese and stir. Refrigerate until cooled.
- Once cooled, scoop one tbsp. of mixture to a lumpia wrapper. Fold the sides inward and roll away. Add a dab of water on the edge to seal the wrapper. Repeat.
- On a fry pan over high heat, add oil. Once it’s hot enough, lower the heat to low-medium and fry the lumpia. Drain over paper towel and serve hot.
- Enjoy with your favorite ketchup!