Tocino del cielo is a family heirloom recipe that was adapted from the Spanish recipes way back from the Spaniards-Philippines invasion. Tocino del cielo which means “heaven’s bacon” in spanish, is a heavier version of custard compared to Creamy Leche Flan and a slight opposite to creme brulee or creme caramel which is lighter in version. Tocino del cielo is similar to other flans around the world but has significantly more egg yolks and sugar.
It is a milkless flan and usually placed in small cute flan moulds. This recipe contains cholesterol, please take note if you’re concious of your cholesterol intake or anyone from your household.
Tocino Del Cielo can be cook by steam or oven. Cook it to your preference. If you’re using an oven you need to bake it in baine marie or steam bath.
These are absolutely delicious and addicting. So let’s start learning the easy recipe of Tocino Del Cielo! Happy cooking!
Tocino Del Cielo ala Nora Daza Recipe
Serving Size : 6
- 1/4 Kilo refined sugar
- 2 cups of water
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- Preheat oven to 350F (For oven cooking) However, for steaming prepare to boil the water in your pot.
- In a shallow pan, boil sugar and water until syrup forms small ball when dropped in water.
- Use 1/4 cup syrup to line tocino molds 1 inch in diameter. Set remaining syrup aside.
- Beat egg yolks and whole egg until blended. Stir in the rest of the syrup. Strain Mixture and Spoon into molds.
- Bake or Steam Tocino in bain marie for 20 minutes or until set.
- Let it cool. Unmold onto small paper cups. Serve and enjoy!
For steaming, dont forget to cover your steamer with a cloth before placing the pot cover. This is to avoid water drippings on your flan. Insert skewer or toothpick in the center of flan to check if it’s cooked. Toothpick should come out clean.
This dessert recipe was adapted from the recipe of Nora Daza.