How to make Fishball with Manong Sauce
200 grams of fish fillet, mashed (boiled in water with salt and pepper)
1 cup of water from the boiled fish
2 cups of flour
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp of pepper
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tbsp. of minced onion
3 tbsp. of minced red bell pepper
3 tbsp. of minced scallion/onion leaves
1 egg, beaten
oil for frying
- Mix flour and baking powder together.
- In a bowl or food processor, mix all the ingredients and stir well until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and set aside the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Dip/wet a spoon in a glass of water, scoop some fishball mix/batter and make a ball by the help of another spoon. Shape it around and gently push over the oil to fry.
- Deep fry the first fish ball batter in a low heat until the color turn into light brown. Taste it first and adjust the taste of the mixture or batter before frying the next batch .
Cooking Notes: If you want to save some of the fish balls for later use, you can boil them in boiling water (instead of frying) and keep it in your freezer. De-froze them later and fry.
Fish ball Brown Sauce:
1 tsp vinegar
3 tbsp soya sauce
5 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp of cornstarch diluted in 1/2 cup of water
1 cup water
1 tbsp minced onion
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced chili
Mix all the ingredients in a pan and bring to boil. Stir constantly.
You can add minced chili, minced onions and minced garlic if you like a spicy sauce.
(Adjust the ingredients according to the taste you like). Happy Cooking!