4 cups Green Papaya, finely shredded
1/2 cup Bell Peppers, cut in strips
1/2 cup Carrots, (you can shape it in flowerlike decorative rounds)
1 medium Onion, chopped
1 thumb-size Ginger, cut in small strips
1/4 cup Raisins (optional)
1 cup Vinegar
1 cup Sugar
1 tbsp Kosher Salt or Rock salt
1. Sprinkle shredded papaya with salt, mix and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
2. Boil the vinegar and sugar together, then set aside.
3. Wring out the liquid from the papaya, then add all the other ingredients.
4. Pour the vinegar/sugar mixture and mix thoroughly.
5. Pack in sterilized or clean containers and keep refrigerated.
Do not use Iodized Salt in this recipe. Use either Kosher Salt, Rock Salt or Pickling Salt as they make the pickling liquid clear and not cloudy.
Want a spicy Atchara? Add jalapeno or Thai Chili (Siling Labuyo). And depending on how hot you want it, you could adjust by adding or removing the seeds and ribs of the pepper. You may also add pineapple tid bits for an added twist. Enjoy!
You may also try our:
Did you try this recipe? Send us your food photo. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.
You may also post it in your own timeline publicly: Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and hashtag us #MamasGuideRecipes
Thanks a lot for supporting our website and help other friends discover great recipes.
Credits: @forsythea and Amy Lazaro