The secret to a white fluffy Siopao Bola bola or a.k.a Pork Steamed buns is using lard or shortening instead of butter or vegetable oil. The yellowish color of butter or oil will change the color of your dough. So it is better to use shortening or lard in your dough. Preparation: First, prepare a baking paper or cookie sheet, cut into small squares and greased with oil, set aside. These will be the liner of your siopao bola bola later on when you steam it.
Siopao Bola Bola Recipe
- For the Dough:
- 3 cups dumpling flour (or all purpose flour) + ½ cup for dusting
- 1 cup warm water
- ½ cup + 2 tsp white sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp. shortening or vegetable oil (use shortening to make it whiter in colour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tbsp. active dry yeast
- ¼ cup lukewarm water
- For the Filling:
- 500g pork mince (previously steamed for 30 minutes)
- 4 pcs hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 2 tbsp. light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 4 tsp brown sugar
- 4 tsp sesame oil
- Water for Steaming
- 1 tbsp of vinegar per litre of water, for steaming
- Prepare Dough: In a small bowl, combine yeast, 2 tsp sugar, and ¼ cup lukewarm water. Set aside in a warm location for 30 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients except for the baking powder then knead dough until dough surface is smooth and texture is elastic; The elasticity and smoothness of your dough is an important factor. Keep dusting the board with dumpling flour as needed. Place in a greased bowl then place in a warm location, cover with damp towel leaving extra space for the dough to expand, set aside for 2 hours. (I keep it inside a turned off or unused oven)
- After two hours the size would be doubled. Deflate dough, punch it. Then spread on floured board.
- Add the baking powder evenly then knead for 5 minutes. Then form a log shape, about 2 inch thick. Divide log into 2 inches long (about 10 – 12 pieces) then use a rolling pin to form a round flat thin dough, make sure it’s evenly flattened.
- Prepare Filling: Mix all filling ingredients together, except for the sliced eggs. Form it into balls and place in freezer for 5 minutes to set. Then take out from freezer.
- Put filling mixture shape into a round ball and 1 small sliced of boiled egg in the middle, make small pleats (like in a curtain) and gently put pleated dough in the center then seal them on top. By making pleated dough, it will create a form of a classic siopao.
- Place buns in a greased paper. Do with the remaining dough and filling.
- Set aside in a warm location for 30 minutes.
- Prepare your steamer by pouring water and vinegar. Vinegar will make sure your buns are white.
- Place buns into steamer container then steam siopao for 20-25 minutes. Don’t forget to cover your steamer with a clean cloth to avoid water drippings before placing the lid or pot cover. Let it cool, then serve and enjoy!