This Rainbow Cake is so colorful and pleasing to the eyes. An eye candy cake for the kids, they will surely love this colorful cake. Its easy to make and delicious too!
Rainbow Cake Recipe
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 8 eggs (whites and yolks separated)
- 1-1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cup flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 4 tsp orange or lemon extract
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- gel good colors
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- drops of vanilla extract
You can follow my simple frosting but you can also use your favorite frosting in this rainbow cake.
If you are going to make a bigger rainbow cake, just double the ingredients of the cake and the frosting.
- For the cake: Combine the egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar and water. Mix until smooth.
- Add-in baking powder, salt, flour, melted butter, orange or lemon and vanilla, then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg whites and cream of tartar using an electric hand mixer, then beat at high speed.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar and continue mixing until stiff.
- Combine the two mixtures gently using a hand mixer or spatula. Don’t over mix.
- Divide the cake mixture into 6 equal parts. Then add the respective gel food color.
- Pour the individual color cake mixture into different circular baking pans.
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees celsius.
- Bake the individual cakes for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven. Let it cool down.
- FOR THE FROSTING: In a mixing bowl, combine the egg whites, sugar, vanilla and cold water. Prepare a bowl with a simmering water. Place the mixing bowl above the bowl with a simmering water. Using an electric hand mixer, beat the ingredients for 15 minutes until the sugar is dissolved and until stiff peaks form.
- On a plate, place the purple cake layer, spread the frosting. Repeat with blue, green, yellow, orange and red cake layers.
- Spread frosting on top of the cake, you can use icing bag /pastry bag to create a nice design. Share and happy eating!