Strawberry Swiss Roll
½ cup all purpose flour
2 tsp cornstarch
¼ tsp baking powder
5 Tbsp sugar, divided
1⁄8 tsp salt
3 egg yolks
2½ Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp milk
½ tsp vanilla extract
3 egg whites
½ cup heavy cream
powdered sugar, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F).
2. Use a medium bowl and sift all purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder, 2½ tablespoons sugar and salt. Sifting ingredients the second time.
3. In another bowl, combine egg yolks, oil, milk and vanilla. Mix wet mixture to dry, stirring softly with spatula to smoothen lumps.
4. Use another bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add and beat remaining sugar into egg whites. Beat continuesly until egg whites mixture becomes stiff but not dry. Combine ¹⁄3 egg mixture into batter and fold in remaining mixture. Place and spread batter into a 9-by-13-inch pan lined with parchment paper.
5. Using a spatula, spread out batter evenly. Gently, tap the pan on kitchen counter a number of times until air bubbles are reduced or no longer visible.
6. Then, bake until cake is light yellow brown, about 15 minutes. Once it’s cook, you need to let it completely cool.
7. For filling: Beat heavy Cream, powdered sugar to taste and continue to whip to stiff peaks. Chill until ready to use.
8. Take out cake from oven. Let it cool completely. Invert pan onto a piece of clean parchment paper. Trim edges for a straight shape. Spread even layer of whipped cream onto cake and layer with strawberries.
9. Roll cake carefully from 1 end to other gently lifting the parchment paper to hold and roll. Chill before serving.