Ginataang Mais at Munggo
6 cups coconut milk (I used coconut milk in cans)
¾ cups sweet rice (malagkit)
1 cup toasted and grounded munggo
1 can sweet corn
1 cup sugar
¼ cup fresh langka slices (alternatively: 1 tsp vanilla flavor or pandan leaves)
¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- Heat a non stick pan (without oil) and toast green munggo beans until color begins to turn brownish about 10 mins. Keep on stirring. Once cooked, turn off heat and let it cool.
- Ground it in clean almires (dikdikan) until crushed and becomes powdery with bits and pieces of munggo. Set aside.
- Prepare a cooking pot, add coconut milk and let it boil. Add the malagkit rice (or glutinous rice).
- Simmer for 5 minutes in medium heat while constantly stirring. Add the toasted and grounded munggo.
- Keep on stirring and cook for 6 to 8 minutes more.
- Add sweet corn in the pot. Continue to cook and keep on stirring for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Then, add the sugar and combine well.
- Add your flavorings like langka or vanilla extract. Keep on cooking at low heat until your munggo is soft. Add a pinch of salt, just to neutralize the sweetness.
- Serve it in soup bowls. Enjoy!