Fusilli is a twisted pasta! Its chewy in some way because of its shape..you tend to savour the sauce that clings to it as you chew it. The thicker the sauce the better.. Try it today!
What is Fusilli? It is the term for pasta in the shape of short spirals, not a very common term in moat places though. Don’t worry its not hard to find it in major supermarkets. And the next time you are asked by friends what’s your specialty pasta you can always say “oh you gotta try my Fusilli Pasta”. Haha..
Pasta Fusilli Bolognese Recipe (Filipino Style)
- virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, sliced diagonally
- 1 cup sliced button mushroom
- 1 medium carrots, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 500 kg ground beef
- 3 tbsp. white wine (optional)
- 1/2 cup Full cream milk (whole milk)
- 2 cups canned chopped tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup cheese
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp Sugar for a sweet blend.
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb dried Fusilli (Spiral Pasta)
- Cook the pasta according to pasta instruction. Drain and set aside
- Sauté garlic & onion on medium-low until turning golden, using the virgin oil.
- Add carrot and celery and, sauté until just starting to caramelize.
- Add garlic and sauté until the garlic is starting to turn translucent.
- Add ground pork and turn up heat to medium-high. Sauté while breaking up with wooden spoon until fully cooked and starting to brown.
- Add wine and turn up heat to high. Reduce until liquid is all gone.
- Add milk and reduce until liquid is almost all gone.
- Add the tomatoes, bring to a boil, and then turn down to the lowest possible heat, cover, and, stirring every so often to be sure it doesn’t burn on bottom. You may need to add a little water at some point to keep it from reducing too much, but the goal is that the sauce ends up very thick.
- Add some salt and pepper and the sugar.
10. Toss the pasta in the sauce and add the butter and grated cheese.
- Stir serve it, with a little extra grated cheese on top.
***If you are using ready sauce like Dolmio or Pinoy Bolognese sauce omit milk and chopped tomato in can, add in the sauce instead.***