Another Bicolandia recipe yet special. It is absolutely delish if its really hot or spicy. We call this sting ray in english (In Philippines, we call it page/pagi). While other’s may call it Ray wing.
Kinunot na Pagi
1/2 kilogram pagi (sting ray)
2 cans of Coconut milk (better to use kakang gata or 1 coconut grated)
1 cup malunggay
1 medium sized onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
medium size ginger, crushed
5 pcs siling haba, sliced
3 pcs. siling labuyo (or more)
salt and pepper
- Boil the cut pagi with a little bit of salt and ginger for 10-15 minutes or until meat can be easily pulled from the cartilages. (Tip: Adding ginger takes the “lansa” / strong fishy taste off seafood dishes)
- Drain the water and let it cool. Peel skin off and flake the pagi by pulling the meat from its cartilages.
- In a medium heat, combine coconut cream, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Stir continuously. After about 5 minutes, add the pagi flakes and malunggay. Simmer until coconut milk is almost dry.
- Add the kakang gata (thick coconut cream), sliced siling haba and siling labuyo (you can adjust the proportions to suit the hotness of your dish. Simmer again until coconut cream is thick and almost dry. (always add the kakang gata just before the dish is done)
- Serve and enjoy your kinunot!