Boiled Icing is the favorite among bakers because it is what you call the traditional icing everybody learned back in the decades. Compared today..there are plenty of icing or frosting you can learn enhanced by chemicals and syrups. This icing is very stable and can last long in tropical countries or humid temperature.
Note: Recipe updated as of June 6, 2021
Things to remember:
- Egg whites should be room temperature and fresh
- Pure egg whites should be use and make sure there is no touch of egg yolks or not even a dot. Because it won’t form into a meringue if there’s a hint of egg yolks.
- Your utensils, beater and bowls should be dry. Any touch of water may ruin your meringue.
- I suggest to use a candy thermometer to know if you have reached the right temperature of your boiled sugar.
Boiled Icing Recipe
- 7 pcs. egg whites (about 1 cup)
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 ½ cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- Prepare your electric mixer with wire whisk attachment, add egg whites and cream of tartar. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, add sugar and water and stir to dissolve. Clip the candy thermometer on the side of the saucepan.
- You need to do this simultaneously:
Cook sugar and water over medium fire. Until temperature reaches 255°F (120°C). Just let it boil and make sure your keeping an eye to it.
- Meanwhile, start beating the egg whites at high speed in another bowl. Until it becomes soft peak.
- Continue cooking syrup until the temperature reaches 260°F (120°C) (hard ball texture or small hard bubbles are visible) about 10 minutes. Remove from fire.
- Pour half of the syrup on egg whites gradually, while beating at medium speed. Increase speed to high for 10 counts. Then lower speed to medium and pour the remaining syrup. Keep on beating as you slowly pour the boiled sugar into your bowl of meringue.
- Put speed back to high and continue beating until it forms hard peak. It may take longer as you expect about 15 minutes or so.
- How to test if you achieved it? You get the most perfect consistency of your boiled icing once you invert the bowl of meringue and it doesn’t move at all..even if you trash it in the air. It wouldn’t move at all. You got it!
- Just be patient, it may take awhile though. Once you reach that consistency. You can add gel colouring. (Do not use liquid colouring because it will ruin the consistency of your boiled icing.)
- Frost on your desired cake. Enjoy!