Chinese Eggplant Side dish
• 1 pound of eggplants (3-4 eggplants), caps removed and washed
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 green onions, chopped
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon fish sauce
• 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
• 2 teaspoons sesame oil
• 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, crushed
1. Prepare steamer and add 2 cups of water. Let it boil over high to medium heat about 5 minutes.
2. Slice eggplants crosswise into 2 ½ inch pieces. Cut the thicker pieces in half lengthwise.
3. Start steaming eggplants, once water starts boiling. Place eggplants on steamer and cover. Steam for about 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and transfer to a cutting board. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes until you can easily handle them. Slice into bite size pieces.
5. Make seasoning mixture: Combine garlic, green onion, soy sauce, fish sauce, hot pepper flakes, sesame oil in a mixing bowl. Mix well.
6. Put it together & serve: Add the steamed eggplant to the bowl and mix well. Sprinkle with the crushed sesame seeds and serve with rice.