Deep Fried Shrimp Wonton Filipino Style! Best Chinese appetizer. While most people would love the steamed version.. the fried version is equally delicious with spicy soy dipping sauce. I also want to note that traditional Chinese recipe uses pork and shrimp and these Crispy fried shrimp wonton is a Filipino version. It is adapted from Visayan recipe which is a combined upo (bottle gourd) and shrimp. They call it Panara but globally speaking it is known as Crispy Fried Shrimp Wonton. Absolutely delish..
Crispy Fried Shrimp Wonton
2 cups chopped bottle gourd
10 pieces medium shrimp (shells and head removed), chopped
1 medium yellow onion, minced
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups cooking oil
15 pieces square wonton wrapper
1 egg, beaten
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the filling and heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a pan.
- Sauté onions until it becomes translucent. Followed by adding the shrimp. Cook it for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped gourd. Sprinkle garlic powder. Mic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir.
- Transfer to a plate. Let the temperature cool down.
- Wrap the mixture in the wonton wrapper. Do this by first lining the sides of the wrapper with beaten egg. Dip your finger into the beaten egg and run it through the side of the wrapper. Scoop about a tablespoon of mixture and place it in the middle of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper such that a triangular shape is formed. Press the sides to seal and fold both side in the center and seal it again. Do this procedure until the entire mixture is consumed.
- Heat the remaining oil in a cooking pot.
- Deep fry the wontons with filings until the color turns medium to golden brown.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve!
- Share and enjoy!