The secret to making a delicious shrimp tempura isnʻt the shrimp. Itʻs the tempura batter.
SHRIMP TEMPURA RECIPE
PREP TIME: 40 MIN
COOK TIME: 20 MIN
10 Jumbo shrimp (the bigger the better. Thaw if they are frozen.)
Flour (tempura flour)
3 scrambled eggs
Tempura sauce ingredients::
1 cup fish or shrimp broth
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup rice wine
2 tsp. sugar
4 cloves minced garlic
½ cup grated radish or labanos
1. Prepare shrimp. Remove shells. Make a shallow slit down the back to devein the shrimp. If you canʻt locate the vein, itʻs not a big deal.
2. Turn the shrimp over and make a few tiny slits across the belly. Bend the shrimp so that it is as straight and long as possible.
3. Heat vegetable or peanut oil to 170 degrees C. Check temperature with chopsticks. When there are small bubbles around the chopstick, the oil is ready.
4. Beat egg yolks and add 2 ice cubes into the bowl to keep the mixture cold. Set bowl aside.
5. In a separate bowl place 1 1/2 c flour.
6. In another bowl place 1/2 bag of Panko breadcrumbs.
7. When the oil is hot, you are ready to deep fry the shrimp.
8. Do these steps with each individual shrimp: Roll in flour, then dip in scrambled egg, then coat with Panko breadcrumbs and place carefully in fryer.
9. Remember, the flour is first, NOT the scrambled egg mixture.
10. Fry about 2 minutes on each side or until batter is golden brown.
11. Place onto clean paper towels to drain off excess oil.
12. Wait until cool and then ENJOY!
To make tempura sauce:
1. Mix all ingredients and cook for 5 minutes. Cool before serving.
#mamasguiderecipes #happycooking #happyholidays
Try our Holiday Recipes:
Thank you for dropping by our website!
Do subscribe to our daily recipes by clicking Yes to “ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS” in the pop up Red Bell button.
You may comment on this post using our Facebook Comment by clicking through links posted on our Facebook page.
Do you have any questions about this recipe? Do you have any concern about the ingredients, substitute or any cooking tips? Just comment below for any feedback. We’d love to know your thoughts.
Kindly rate back our recipes if you tried it and you’re satisfied. Thanks a lot for supporting our website.
Photo by @tamkokseng