The secret to making a delicious shrimp tempura isn’t the shrimp. It’s the tempura batter. It needs to be icy cold, so make sure to place the beaten egg on a stainless bowl and place a bowl of ice cubes underneath to keep the cold temperature of the batter. The cold batter when dropped in very hot oil creates a sudden shock to the shrimp and creates a different look when fried.
Aside from the use of tempura flour, this is what makes the tempura unique from any other fried shrimp recipe. This is really as simple as that. Icy cold battered shrimp, deep fried in very hot oil. It comes with an easy to make tempura sauce recipe too. Happy cooking!
PREP TIME: 40 MIN
COOK TIME: 20 MIN
SHRIMP TEMPURA RECIPE
- 10 pcs Jumbo shrimp (the bigger the better. Thaw if they are frozen.)
- For the Batter/Coating:
- 1 ½ cup preferably tempura flour, (Tempura Flour Substitute: Sifted ½ cup corn flour or rice flour, any flour, 1 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp salt)
- 1/2 pack Panko breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs, beaten
Tempura sauce ingredients:
- 1 cup fish or shrimp broth
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice wine
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- ½ cup grated radish or Labanos
- Prepare shrimp. Remove shells. Make a shallow slit down the back to devein the shrimp. If you canʻt locate the vein, its not a big deal.
- Turn the shrimp over and make a few tiny slits across the belly. Bend the shrimp so that it is as straight and long as possible.
- Heat vegetable or peanut oil to 170°C. Check temperature with chopsticks. When there are small bubbles around the chopstick, the oil is ready.
- Beat egg yolks and place it on top of another bowl with ice cubes to keep the mixture cold. Set bowl aside.
- In a separate bowl place 1-1/2 cup flour.
- In another bowl place 1/2 bag of Panko breadcrumbs.
- When the oil is hot, you are ready to deep fry the shrimp.
- Do these steps with each individual shrimp: Roll in flour, then dip in scrambled egg, then coat with Panko breadcrumbs and place carefully in fryer.
- Remember, the flour is first, NOT the scrambled egg mixture.
- Deep fry for about 2-3 minutes or until batter is golden brown.
- Place onto clean paper towels to drain off excess oil.
- Wait until cool and then ENJOY!
To make tempura sauce:
- Mix all ingredients and cook for 5 minutes. Cool before serving.