The secret to making a delicious shrimp tempura isn’t the shrimp. It’s the tempura batter. It needs to be icy cold, so make sure to place the batter on a stainless bowl and place a bowl of ice cubes underneath to keep the cold temperature of the batter. The cold batter when dropped in very hot oil creates a sudden shock to the shrimp and creates a different look when fried.
Aside from the use of tempura flour, this is what makes the tempura unique from any other fried shrimp recipe. This is really as simple as that.
For Tempura Flour Substitute: Sifted ½ cup corn flour or rice flour, any flour, 1 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp salt
SHRIMP TEMPURA RECIPE
- 1 kilo (16 – 20 pcs) fresh shrimp
- For the Batter:
- 3 cups Tempura flour
- 3 pcs fresh whole eggs
- 1 cup Icy cold water
- Mix all the batter ingredients in a large bowl. Add icy cold water little by little to achieve a thick consistency. Test for viscosity, not too thick and not too thin.
- Set aside the bowl on top of a bowl filled with ice cubes to maintain the chilled batter.
- Prepare the shrimp: Peel and de-vein the shrimp. Then wash and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Make 3-4 vertical cuts in the shrimp belly, being careful not to cut through completely. The cuts prevent the shrimp from curling when cooked. Straighten it up with the hand and flatten with the opposite side of knife. Set aside.
- Once done preparing the shrimp, heat vegetable or peanut oil to 170°C. Check temperature with chopsticks. When there are small bubbles around the chopstick, the oil is ready.
- Dip one shrimp into the cold batter, and carefully deep fry the shrimp. Do it by batches until all shrimp are fried.
- Deep fry for about 2-3 minutes or until the shrimp coating becomes opaque white and crispy.
- Transfer the fried Tempura onto clean paper towels to drain off excess oil.
- Serve with Tempura sauce on the side. Happy cooking and enjoy!
For the Tempura Sauce:
- 1 cup fish or shrimp broth
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice wine
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- ½ cup grated radish or Labanos
- Mix all ingredients and cook for 5 minutes. Cool before serving.
SHRIMP TEMPURA RECIPE (Version 2)
PREP TIME: 40 MIN
COOK TIME: 20 MIN
- 10 pcs Jumbo shrimp
- For the Batter/Coating:
- 1 ½ cup preferably tempura flour
- 1/2 pack Panko breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Prepare shrimp. Remove shells. Make a shallow slit down the back to devein the shrimp. If you canʻt locate the vein, its not a big deal.
- Turn the shrimp over and make a few tiny slits across the belly. Bend the shrimp so that it is as straight and long as possible.
- Heat vegetable or peanut oil to 170°C. Check temperature with chopsticks. When there are small bubbles around the chopstick, the oil is ready.
- Beat egg yolks and place it on top of another bowl with ice cubes to keep the mixture cold. Set bowl aside.
- In a separate bowl place 1-1/2 cup flour.
- In another bowl place 1/2 bag of Panko breadcrumbs.
- When the oil is hot, you are ready to deep fry the shrimp.
- Do these steps with each individual shrimp: Roll in flour, then dip in scrambled egg, then coat with Panko breadcrumbs and place carefully in fryer.
- Remember, the flour is first, NOT the scrambled egg mixture.
- Deep fry for about 2-3 minutes or until batter is golden brown.
- Place onto clean paper towels to drain off excess oil.
- Wait until cool and then ENJOY!