Super easy Mongolian Beef recipe! Slightly crisp and tender flank steak with a very delicious chinese sauce.. amazingly delish. Cook it today and save this recipe for good. Cooking Tips: You can add strips of carrots and broccoli to add flare to this recipe. Happy cooking!
Mongolian Beef Recipe
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- vegetable oil, for frying (about 1 cup)
- 1 lb. flank steak
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 large green onions, sliced on the diagonal into one-inch lengths
- In a pan over low heat, start with the sauce and heat 2 tsp of vegetable oil. But not too hot.
- Add ginger and garlic to the pan and quickly add the soy sauce and water before the garlic scorches.
- Add brown sugar in the sauce and mix until dissolved, then raise the heat to about medium and boil the sauce for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Remove it from the heat.
- Slice the flank steak against the grain into 1/4 thick bite-size slices (Tilt the blade of your knife at about a forty five degree angle to the top of the steak so that you get wider cuts).
- Toss the steak pieces into the cornstarch to apply a very thin dusting to both sides of each piece of beef.
- Let the beef sit for about 10 minutes so that the cornstarch sticks.
- As the beef sits, heat up one cup of oil in a wok (you may also use a skillet for this step as long as the beef will be mostly covered with oil).
- Heat the oil over medium heat until it’s nice and hot, but not smoking.
- Add the beef to the oil and sauté for just two minutes, or until the beef just begins to darken on the edges. You don’t need a thorough cooking here since the beef is going to go back on the heat later. Stir the meat around a little so that it cooks evenly.
- After a couple minutes, use a large slotted spoon to take the meat out and onto paper towels, then pour the oil out of the wok or skillet.
- Put the pan back over the heat, dump the meat back into it and simmer for one minute.
- Add the sauce, cook for one minute while stirring, then add all the green onions.
- Cook for one more minute, then remove the beef and onions with tongs or a slotted spoon to a serving plate. Leave the excess sauce behind in the pan.