HOW TO MAKE YEMA BALLS
- 1 big can (14 oz) condensed milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup mashed potato
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a non-stick pan, combine all the ingredients for the yema.
- Cook (stir it while cooking) until thick and starts to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Let it cool and shape into balls. Set aside. Note: Chill it in the freezer to set for a few minutes before dipping in caramel.
- Prepare the caramel: Combine the sugar, water and cream of tartar in a pan; boil until it becomes amber in color. It takes about 7 minutes or if you have a candy thermometer wait for it to register 340°F or 170°C .
- Put a toothpick on a yema ball and dip in the caramel. Transfer to a lightly greased tray or platter.
- Let it set. Wrap individual balls in plastic.
- Serve and enjoy. Happy cooking!