Beef Ribs Sinigang in Watermelon
- 1-1/2 Kilos watermelon, peeled, seeded, cut into chunks
- 2 cups sliced tomatoes, seeded
- 1 kilo Beef spareribs, cut into chunks
- 2 pcs White Radish, peeled, sliced
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 whole cloves of garlic, peeled
- 4 pcs finger chilies (siling haba)
- 1 bundle string beans (Sitaw), cut into 2″ long
- 1 bundle Spinach (Kangkong), trimmed, washed
- Salt or fish sauce (patis) to taste
- 200 grams tamarind, boiled, softened in 1 cup water
- Extract the tamarind juice by squeezing and pouring water on the boiled tamarind using a sieve.
- Blanch spareribs in a pot of boiling water. This step is to remove the impurities.
- In a separate clean pot, add the watermelons. Next, add in the tomatoes, White Radish, followed by blanched spareribs. Add in the tamarind juice and around 10 cups of water. Cook over high heat until boiling, then simmer until meat is cooked and the watermelon are soft and mushy. This will take around 1 hour or until the meat is tender
- You may now add the vegetables, finger chilies and string beans. Cook for about 5 to 10 minutes until the vegetables are cooked. (I prefer half cooked for veggies though)
- Next, add in your sliced onions and stems of water spinach. After about 1 minute, add in the leaves of the water spinach.
- Finally, season with salt and fish sauce to taste. Turn off heat. Serve hot and enjoy your yummy Beef Ribs Sinigang in Watermelon.