The best and perfect homemade Butterscotch Sauce Recipe – it’s easy to make too! Great for steamed pudding or just ice cream sundaes and cake recipes too.
Butterscotch Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup all purpose cream
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tablespoons bourbon (optional)
- Keep all the ingredients measured and ready.
- In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, melt butter on low heat.
- Before the butter melts entirely, add the sugar at medium-low heat.
- Turn the heat down and let the sugar melt. This should take 5 minutes.
- When the sugar turns fully liquid, add the cream and whisk till uniformly combined. Let it simmer on low heat for 2-4 minutes. Make sure you keep stirring occasionally. Also, make sure not to burn the sugar.
- Once it starts bubbling, turn off the heat and pour in a stainless steel bowl.
- Add half the vanilla and half the salt. Give it a taste, if there is room for more, then add the remaining salt and vanilla or until you get that butterscotch flavour. (You can add bourbon (if available) to give it a kick of authentic flavor, but this is just optional). Happy cooking and enjoy!