Eto yung papaitan baka na mas bitter pa sa ex boyfriend mo. Hahaha. Best Ilocano Papaitan Baka recipe at best pulutan recipe. Try it today, happy cooking!
Papaitan Baka Recipe
- 3/4 kilo beef internal organs (Tripe, Liver, Kidney, Pancreas or Intestine)
- 1/4 kilo beef tenderloin (cut into strips)
- 1/4 cup beef bile or apdo
- 1 large size onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1 pc ginger, about 1 inch, slivered
- 2 pc red chili pepper and siling haba
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp. patis or fish sauce (according to taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion leaves (optional)
- For cleaning and boiling the innards:
- 1 lemon; juiced
- 8 kalamansi; juiced
- Banana leaves
- 1 ginger root; crushed
- Wash and mash the internal organs with banana leaves with 3 Tbsp. salt to remove the musky odor.
- Make sure that the intestines are very clean.
- Boil the internal organs on a big pot with calamansi juice, lemon juice and ginger root. Boil until tender and then remove from liquid and cut into strips. Set aside.
- Saute ginger, garlic and onion. Stir fry until the onions are cooked and add the internal organs.
- Stir fry again until some broth comes out of the internal organs.
- Season with salt and pepper and adjust the amount according to your desired taste.
- Stir fry for a few minutes then add some water, just enough to cover all the ingredients.
- Simmer and add the beef tenderloin until the tenderloin is cooked or very tender.
- Drop the red chili peppers/siling haba, pour the bile little by little to prevent the dish from becoming too bitter.
- Season with patis and adjust the amount according to your preference.
- Serve hot and garnish with spring onion. (optional)
Tips on reducing too much oil in Papaitan:
You may cook the papaitan in advance, let it cool then refrigerate after. When all the fats start to solidify, just scrape away the fat from the surface. It will definitely elevate the flavors with less oil.
It is best to slow cook the soup for long hours until it becomes yellowish in color. Adding calamansi juice will improve the taste. Add more siling haba for an added flavor and siling labuyo if you want it really spicy.