Two favorite Filipino desserts combined in one luscious cake. It’s the tempting Ube Leche Flan Cake made of soft chiffon cake with creamy leche flan on top. Forever cravings you just can’t get enough..
Ube Leche Flan Cake
- For the Leche Flan
10 egg yolks
1 condensed milk (300mL)
1 evaporated milk (370mL)
- For the caramel
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
- For the Cake
2 cups cake flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup milk
2 teaspoon purple yam flavoring
- For the Leche Flan: Separate egg yolks to whites. I use my slotted spoon to easily separate eggs. (Yung sandok na may mga butas sa gitna)
- In a bowl, mix together yolks and condensed milk until combined.
- Add evaporated milk, stir gently and thoroughly until incorporated. I use electric hand mixer to make my flan super smooth in texture. Set aside.
- For the caramel: In a sauce pan mix water and the brown sugar. Bring to boil, until the sugar caramelize. Pour caramel into the pan or cake molds, and spread on the bottom. Let it cool until it becomes hard.
- Gently strain the custard mixture, fill the molds to 1-1/4 inch thick. (You can strain it for 3 times to remove big bubbles from your flan para hindi butas butas ang iyong flan.)
- For Cake: A.) Use a sieve to strain and combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside. B.) Combine sugar and melted butter and stir well to dissolve sugar grains. Set aside. C.) In a cup, combine purple yam powder and milk. Stir well.
- Combine all (A, B, C) mixture you prepared: flour, eggs, melted butter, purple yam mixture in a bowl and mix well.
- For Steaming: Cover the flan with aluminum foil and rest for 20 minutes. Steam for 40 minutes in lowest heat. Do a toothpick test to know if its cooked.
- Once the flan is cook let it cool first before pouring the cake mixture on top. If you want your flan to be in perfect shape when you unmold it later.
- Cover with aluminum foil. Steam for another 35 minutes or until cake is done.
- Cake unmolding: Remove from the steamer and set aside to cool. Trim the top of the cake with serrated knife to flatten. Run a knife around the flan, then invert onto a platter.
If you ran out of Cake flour: You can use all purpose flour. Just remove 2 tablespoon of flour in 1 cup of all purpose flour and replace with 2 tablespoon of cornstarch and sift it together.