Fish Tapa or Smoked Fish. Best to partner these with Tinapa Fried Rice…oh heavenly sa sarap!
5 kilograms Mackerel (cleaned)
1 cup Salt
8 cups Water
4 cloves Garlic
1/2 tbsp Pepper
1 pc knorr cube
2 Bay leaves / laurel
Olive oil – for rubbing after the fish are smoked
1. Add water, salt, garlic, bay leaves, pepper, and knorr cubes in the bottom part of your steamer. Stir well.
2. Over low heat, simmer for about 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let the brine water cool down.
3. Soak the fish in brine water for 1 hour.
4. Remove and drain brine water from the fish. Reserve brine water for later use.
5. Place each fish on the steaming tray and season with a little salt on top.
6. Over medium heat, let brine water boil. And continue simmering using low heat.
7. When the water is boiling, place the steaming tray with fish over steamer cover with cloth on top to avoid water drippings. Steam for 30 minutes.
8. Air dry the fish in open air or use an electric fan
9. Smoke fish until they turn golden brown.
10. Cool smoked fish before brushing each one with olive oil.