Beef Empanada Recipe
1 lb. ground beef (85% lean)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup green peas
1 small yellow onion, minced
1/2 cup beef broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
2 tablespoons cooking oil
3 cups All purpose flour
1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 8 parts
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons granulated white sugar
6 tablespoons ice cold water
3 cups cooking oil (for frying)
1. Make the filing by heating 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a pan.
2. Saute the onion and then add the ground black pepper.
3. Put-in the beef and then cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add the raisins, paprika, sugar, and salt. Stir and then pour-in the beef broth.
5. Cover and then simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Remove the cover and let the liquid evaporate.
7. Add the green peas.Stir and then cook for 2 minutes.
8. Turn-off the heat. Set aside.
9. Prepare the dough by placing the salt, All purpose flour, baking powder, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Use a wire whisk to mix the ingredients.
10. Put the butter pieces in the mixing bowl along with the cold water. Mix using a pastry blender. If you don’t have one, use 2 kitchen knives instead. You should mix like you are cutting the dough in several pieces.
11. Grab about 3 tablespoons of the mixture and then shape it into a ball. do this until all the dough is consumed.
12. Refrigerate the dough balls for about 20 to 25 minutes.
13. Flatten the dough ball by gently pressing the center with your hand against a clean flour-dusted flat surface. Use a rolling pin to spread the dough and make a flat circle about 4 to 5 inches in diameter.
14. Place about 4 to 5 tablespoons of filling in the middle of the dough. Lock the edges by folding on the edges.
15. Heat about 2 to 3 cups of oil in a cooking pot. Deep fry the empanadas for about 3 to 5 minutes or until the color turns golden brown.
16. Remove from the cooking pot and then arrange in a plate linewd with paper towels. Let the excess oil drip-off.
17. Transer to a serving plate.
18. Share and enjoy!