Try this healthy recipe of Ginataang Pako leaves at alimasag. Crabs stewed in fresh coconut milk with young leaves of fern (pako).
These fern leaves have very low calories and are good for people who wants to loose weight. It is also packed with nutrients like the anti-oxidant beta carotene (anti cancer) , vitamin C, A, manganese and rich in iron (1 for the anemic).
Ginataang Pako at Alimasag
1/2 kilo fresh alimasag (talangka or crabs)
2 cups coconut cream (1 can)
½ cup water
3 pcs long chili pepper (Siling Haba)
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, sliced
2 tbsp ginger, grated or minced
6 stalks pako (young fern) leaves and stalks
salt to taste
1. Clean crabs thoroughly with tap water. Drain.
2. In a medium pan, pour water, coconut milk. Add siling haba, garlic, onion and ginger. Bring it to a boil and add the crabs.
3. Once the cream (coconut milk) is boiling, add-in pako leaves and stalks.
4. Let it boil and simmer over low fire for about 15-20 minutes. Stir constantly to prevent sauce from sticking.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste and or add patis if preferred. Serve and enjoy!