Nicoise Salad (French Inspired) (Niçoise: pronounced nee-suahz). A delicious salad that originated from Nice, France. Usually served on a bed of Boston or butter lettuce. Iceberg or Romaine lettuce would be a good substitute. The rest of the ingredients include halved cherry tomatoes, blanched green beans, boiled red potatoes, sliced hard-boiled eggs, torn in half basil leaves, pitted kalamata or nicoise olives, sliced green onions, sliced cucumber, and canned tuna in oil (preferably albacore). Drizzle with homemade vinaigrette dressing.
French Nicoise Salad (Niçoise)
- 8 ounces fresh green beans (2 cups)
- 12 ounces tiny new potatoes, scrubbed and sliced (2 medium)
- 1 Nicoise Dressing or 1/2 cup bottled balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
- Boston or Bibb lettuce leaves
- 1 1/2 cups flaked cooked tuna or salmon (8 ounces) or one 9-1/4-ounce can chunk white tuna (water-pack), drained and broken into chunks
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 Hard-Cooked Eggs, sliced
- 1/2 cup pitted ripe olives (optional)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (2)
- 4 anchovy fillets, drained, rinsed, and patted dry (optional)
- Fresh tarragon (optional)
For Nicoise Dressing:
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot, minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
**In a bowl, whisk together thoroughly.
- Wash green beans; remove ends and strings. In a large saucepan cook green beans and potatoes, covered, in a small amount of lightly salted boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes or just until tender. Drain; place vegetables in a medium bowl. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- Prepare Nicoise Dressing.
- To serve, line 4 salad plates with lettuce leaves. Arrange chilled vegetables, tuna, tomatoes, eggs, and olives (if desired) on the lettuce-lined plates. Sprinkle each serving with green onions. If desired, top each salad with an anchovy fillet and garnish with tarragon.
- Shake dressing; drizzle over each salad.
Makes 4 main-dish servings.