Taho is one of Filipino’s favorite comfort food, specially for breakfast. Taho is a famous Filipino street food made of softened tofu, sago/pearls with lots of sugar syrup. It is my favorite breakfast back in my younger days as a kid.
Through the years, these Taho have evolved into different flavours. Originating in Bagiou, Strawberry Taho was first tasted. After strawberry then came Ube, Pandan, Mango and chocolate flavored Taho. If you’re thinking of making your own flavored taho, dont worry because it is not as complicated as you think. This recipe is the easy version.. but not from scratch.
Where to buy the Ingredients?
1. You can buy Instant Soft Tofu Powder at Lazada/Shopee. (Just dissolved it in water, mix and wait for it to solidify and become soft tofu).
2. Or you may also find it at any major groceries in Philippines like SM Supermarket (normally kasama siya ng mga packed firm tofu or regular tokwa sa chilled section of supermarket).
How to make Homemade Taho
700 grams soft tofu (silken tofu)
1 + ¼ cup dark brown sugar (divided)
3/4 cup uncooked tapioca pearls
6 + ½ cups water, (divided)
1 tablespoon vanilla essence
you can use light brown sugar if you want a lighter syrup.
1. For the Tapioca Pearls: Pour-in 6 cups of water in a cooking pot and bring to a boil.
2. Add-in the tapioca pearls and cook for 30-40 minutes in medium heat (or until cooked, depending on the size of your tapioca pearls being used).
3. Add-in 1/4 cup sugar and mix well.
4. Turn off the heat and remove tapioca pearls from heat. Let it stand in the pot for 30 minutes or until cool. Then drain water.
5. For Arnibal/Sweet Syrup: Heat a saucepan then pour-in 1/2 cup of water and let it boil.
6. Put-in 1 cup of sugar. Mix well, add vanilla and simmer until it becomes thick. Set aside the sweet syrup.
7. For the Taho: Transfer the extra soft tofu in a glass bowl then heat in a microwave oven for a minute. Or just steam it, if there is no microwave.
8. Remove the extra soft tofu from the microwave oven/steamer once hot.
9. Assembly: Add-in the cooked tapioca pearls and arnibal/sweet syrup to the soft tofu. Serve warm.
10. Share and happy eating!
To Make your own Flavored Taho:
For Strawberry Taho, all you need is to boil and chop fresh strawberries in a cup of water and add 2 cups sugar. You need a 1:2 ratio of water and sugar. For example: 1 cup water is equals to 2 cups sugar ratio.
The same process for Ube Taho, you can use ube powder, ube spread and ube flavor to add into your syrup and some violet food coloring. The same thing goes for Mango Taho and Chocolate Taho.