The under appreciated cousin of brownies – the golden colored blondies. Although not as extremely popular as brownies, it has its own appeal and is infinitely versatile.
Brownies are a chocolate lover’s dream while blondies flavor profile is that of the taste of molasses because of the brown sugar.
Keeping with its golden color, I used butterscotch chips (or chocolate chips if you prefer) and walnuts. I urge you to give it a try. You’ll be surprised at how great tasting it is. Happy baking!
Blondies Recipe (White Version of Brownies)
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Pinch of salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Butter an 8×8 pan or line it with parchment paper with an overhang to lift blondies out of the pan and onto the cutting board.
3. Mix melted butter with brown sugar; beat until smooth. Beat in egg and then vanilla.
4. Add salt, stir in flour. Mix in any additions (below).
5. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, or until set in the middle.
6. Cool on rack before cutting them.
Further additions, use one or a combination:
*1/2 to 1 cup chopped nuts, toasting them first for even better flavor
*1/2 to 1 cup chocolate chips, white chocolate chips or butterscotch chips
*1/2 teaspoon mint extract in addition to or in place of the vanilla
*1/2 cup mashed bananas
*1/4 cup bourbon, scotch or other whiskey, increase the flour by one tablespoon
*2 tablespoons of espresso powder with the vanilla
*Stir 1/2 cup dried fruit (cherries, cranberries etc.) into the prepared batter