Yield: 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups grated carrots (heaping)
- 2/3 cup oil
- 2 eggs beaten
- For the cream cheese frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature, cubed)
- 4 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 2+ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F (or 180°C). Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the grated carrots and the oil. Slowly add the flour mixture, stirring until just mixed. Add the beaten eggs and stir a few times (like 15 or less around the bowl – the fewer the better).
- Grease a muffin tin or use paper liners. Scoop the batter into a muffin tin, filling each muffin tin about 2/3 of the way up the side. Bake for 13 minutes, check how they’re doing, and add a few minutes if necessary. I find that the baking time varies greatly with the oven so just check for the right golden brown color and springy tops.
- For the frosting, blend the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar until smooth. Transfer to a plastic bag or similar tool for piping the frosting evenly on the cupcake.
Cook’s Notes: I had to double my frosting because I was a bit generous with piping my frosting and also needed a few extra to use for the carrot decoration. But if you only wish to spread or pipe a little bit of the icing on top, then the recipe for the frosting would be enough to ice 12 cupcakes. Carrot decoration is optional.