This Cashew Chicken got bumped up with the addition of shrimp and a variety of vegetables. Delicious and healthy!
1/2 pound boneless & skinless chicken breasts, sliced thinly
1/2 pound shrimp, peeled & deveined
1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup cashews
4 tablespoons cooking oil
4 cups assorted cut-vegetables (celery, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, red & green bell pepper, snowpeas, mushroom, baby corn etc.), your choice
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1. Marinate the chicken in salt, rice wine or dry sherry and cornstarch for 20-30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, mix together the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
3. Roast the cashews in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, shaking the pan so that the nuts don’t burn. Roast until cashews are golden brown. Remove from pan.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok. Stir-fry the chicken slices until cooked through. Remove from wok.
5. Heat 2 more tablespoons of oil. Saute the garlic. Add the vegetables and stir-fry until crisp tender.
6. Add the chicken pieces, shrimps and sauce. Continue to stir-fry until shrimps are pink, combining well and heating everything through.
7. Add the cashew nuts before serving to retain its crunch.