This Buttermilk Fried Chicken is delicious! But wait where can I buy the Buttermilk in the Philippines? Don’t worry though.. If you can’t get your hands on a buttermilk, here is the best alternative I use: 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon vinegar. Combine together and let sit for 5 minutes to let it curdle. (You may also use plain yogurt).
Anyway.. What is Buttermilk? It is the tart or sour liquid left after the butterfat has been removed from whole milk or cream after churning. And people who tried this.. got the best fried chicken resulting from an overnight soak in buttermilk marinade. Yes it’s true.. its the Best fried chicken nom nom – flavorful, juicy and super crispy.
This recipe is an American style fried chicken, but if its hard to find all the spices mentioned, the shortcut is to use Crispy fry breading mix.. and use the same buttermilk marinade for chicken mentioned below (the other herbs can be optional such as dried sage and use your favorite herbs)
BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN
1 kilogram chicken, cut into 8 pieces
2 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon of ground thyme, dried oregano, cayenne pepper, dried sage
salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, white pepper
1 teaspoon salt
Cooking Oil, for frying
1. In a bowl with cover, combine the chicken, buttermilk and other spices. Cover it tightly and refrigerate. Preferably overnight but you can do a minimum of 3 hours.
2. In a deep frying pan, Heat enough oil over medium heat until a deep fry thermometer registers 360°F or when it starts to sizzle.
3. In a large plastic bag (or recycled ice cream container with cover), combine all the flour mixture.
4. Add a few pieces of chicken inside the bag/container and shake to coat.
5. Then, remove the chicken pieces from the bag, shake off excess flour and deep fry.
6 Turn it occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through, for about 15 minutes (adjust the heat as needed). Drain on paper towels.
7. Repeat the process until all chicken is fried. Serve hot with gravy and enjoy!