A beloved Filipino dish that combines chicken (preferably use Native Chicken) with green papaya or chayote and hot pepper leaves or malunggay leaves in a delicious gingery broth. Simple and healthy Filipino food.
Chicken Tinola with Malunggay Recipe
- 1 whole chicken, cut into serving pieces (preferably native chicken)
- 1 small green papaya, cut into big chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 thumbsize ginger, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Malunggay leaves
- 3 pcs siling haba (long green chili pepper)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a pot. Saute garlic, onions and ginger.
- Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned.
- Add fish sauce and stir to incorporate.
- Add in green papaya slices or chayote. Continue cooking for about a minute or two.
- Pour in water and simmer until tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the malunggay leaves and siling haba. Cover pot and turn off heat.
- Serve and enjoy!
YOU MAY ALSO TRY OUR: