A beloved Filipino dish that combines chicken (preferably use Native Chicken) with green papaya or chayote and hot pepper leaves or malunggay leaves in a delicious gingery broth. Simple and healthy Filipino food.
Chicken Tinola with Malunggay
1 whole chicken, cut into serving pieces (preferably native chicken)
1 small green papaya, cut into big chunks
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 thumbsize ginger, cut into strips
2 tablespoons fish sauce
4 cups water
2 tablespoons cooking oil
3 pcs siling haba (long green chili pepper)
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a pot. Saute garlic, onions and ginger.
2. Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned.
3. Add fish sauce and stir to incorporate.
4. Add in green papaya slices or chayote. Continue cooking for about a minute or two.
5. Pour in water and simmer until tender.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Add the malunggay leaves and siling haba. Cover pot and turn off heat.
8. Serve and enjoy!
You may also try our:
Special thanks to JudgeFloro of Wikimedia
Want a Mama’s Guide Mobile App? From our website, go to chrome browser settings and click “Add to home screen”. An icon will automatically display on your mobile screen for you to access our website anytime you want.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our daily updates of recipes and click yes to notifications. Happy cooking!