A beloved Filipino dish that combines chicken with green papaya or chayote and hot pepper leaves or malunggay leaves in a delicious gingery broth.
1 whole chicken, cut into serving pieces
3 chayote, cut into big chunks
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 thumbsize ginger, cut into strips
2 tablespoons fish sauce
4 cups water
2 tablespoons cooking oil
Malunggay leaves or hot pepper leaves
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a pot. Saute garlic, onions and ginger.
2. Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned.
3. Add fish sauce and stir to incorporate.
4. Pour in water and bring to a boil. Continue cooking the chicken until done.
5. Add the chayote/green papaya and simmer until tender.
6. Salt and pepper to taste.
7. Add the malunggay leaves/hot pepper leaves. Cover and turn off heat.