Sinigang na Baka – Cook it today! A delicious classic Filipino Sinigang na Bulalong Baka or Beef Shanks in Tamarind Broth Soup. Perfect for the cold weather and rainy days. Instead of using Sinigang Instant Mix, you may also use 1 cup fresh sampaloc fruit, crack it a little and let it boil in the soup, strain it once the broth is super sour.
Sinigang na Bulalong Baka
1 kilo beef shanks (chopped into serving pieces with bone & marrow)
1 large onion, diced
2 large tomato, chopped
Water as needed
3-4 pieces chili pepper
1 pouch sinigang mix
1 daikon radish (labanos), cut into 1/2 inch rounds
2 eggplants, sliced lengthwise then across into 2-inch pieces
1 bundle long beans (sitaw), broken into 2-inch pieces
1/2 Chinese cabbage/Napa cabbage
1 beef bouillon cube
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Boil beef shanks and discard water.
2. Return beef shanks to pot and cover in water. Let boil for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
3. Remove scum that rises to the top. Add more water if necessary.
4. The last 30 minutes of boiling the meat, add tomato, onion, and bouillon cube.
5. Once meat is tender, add radish, eggplant, long bean and chili pepper. Cook until tender.
6. Add the sinigang mix. Stir to incorporate.
7. Salt & pepper to taste.
8. Place Chinese cabbage on top. Cover and turn off heat.