1 whole flounder
1 teaspoon salt
1 thumb-sized ginger, finely sliced
2-3 stalks green onions, finely sliced
1 red Thai chili, finely sliced
2 tablespoons Shaoxing rice wine
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
Handful of cilantro/coriander leaves
1. Wash fish and pat dry, sprinkle with salt. Cut 3 slits on both sides of the fish.
2. Prepare steamer. (My fish was somewhat large I had to improvise with a Dutch oven and a heatproof bowl to sit a large platter). Steam fish over high heat until just cooked, about 15 minutes.
3. Carefully transfer fish to a new serving dish. (In my case a baking pan. Don’t have a nice platter large enough to fit the steamed fish.) Discard the fishy liquid that has accumulated from the steaming.
4. Scatter sliced green onions and ginger over the fish. Drizzle with the soy sauce and Shaoxing rice wine.
5. Heat vegetable oil and sesame oil until smoking, immediately but carefully pour over the fish. It should sizzle.
6. Garnish with cilantro/coriander leaves.