Tortang Talong or Grilled Egg plant with scrambled egg. Its a simple and inexpensive meatless viand when your in a budget (Petsa de Peligro). But how do you cook tortang talong without using oil? Yes its possible. Here’s another way to cook Tortang Talong in a different way.. go to step 7 to see how they cook it in the province.
TORTANG TALONG (Dahon ng Saging)
4 pieces Chinese eggplant
3 eggs, beaten
Salt & pepper to taste
Fresh Banana Leaves (dahon ng saging)
1. Grill the eggplants. You can also do it on the stovetop but it gets messy. My other method which I prefer is to broil the eggplants in the oven for about 15 minutes until eggplants are soft and the skin turns almost black.
2. Let them cool then peel off skin. Set aside.
3. Season the beaten eggs with salt and pepper. Transfer to a wide and shallow dish for dipping the eggplants later.
4. Heat oil in a frying pan.
5. Prepare the eggplants by using the back of the spoon to flatten each one.
6. Normal Method: Dip eggplant in the egg mixture and what I do is place it on a small plate to make it easy to slide onto the hot oil. Fry the eggplants one at a time in medum-high heat for about 2-3 minutes per side.
7. Second Method: (Dahon ng Saging)
In a greased wok, place the banana leaf, then slowly pour in some beaten egg. Place the flattened eggplant and let it cook. Transfer the eggplant on a plate. Then, on the same leaf, add some beaten egg and cook the other side of the eggplant.
8. Serve with banana ketchup.