Simple and inexpensive meatless viand.
4 pieces Chinese eggplant
3 eggs, beaten
4 tablespoons cooking oil
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Grill the eggplants. You can also do it on the stovetop but it gets messy. My other method which I prefer is to broil the eggplants in the oven for about 15 minutes until eggplants are soft and the skin turns almost black.
2. Let them cool then peel off skin. Set aside.
3. Season the beaten eggs with salt and pepper. Transfer to a wide and shallow dish for dipping the eggplants later.
4. Heat oil in a frying pan.
5. Prepare the eggplants by using the back of the spoon to flatten each one.
6. Dip eggplant in the egg mixture and what I do is place it on a small plate to make it easy to slide onto the hot oil.
7. Fry the eggplants one at a time in medum-high heat for about 2-3 minutes per side.
8. Serve with banana ketchup.