This Cheesy Beef Mechado Recipe is absolutely delicious! With tender chunks of beef, slices of carrots, sausages, bell pepper and lots of cheese! Though cooking time may take about 2 ½ hours, but its definitely worth the time. Your family will surely love this mechado recipe just make sure to cook ahead of time. Happy cooking!
Recipe slightly updated as of August 24, 2020 with new recipe photo.
Cheesy Beef Mechado Audio Recipe
Preparation: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 2 hours and 30mins Total Time: 3 hours
Cheesy Beef Mechado Recipe
1 kg beef (mechado cut) 2 cans vienna sausage or hotdogs (sliced) 2 small bell pepper, strips 3 medium carrots ( sliced into bite size) 1 cup Cheese (cheddar cheese) 4 tbsp soy sauce 3 tbsp lemon or calamansi juice 4 (250g) pouch tomato sauce (i used 3 cheese clara ole 1kilo pouch) 1 large onion, chopped 9 cloves garlic, minced Salt & Black pepper 2 tbsp patis (fish sauce) 3 cups water 1 can sprite
1. Marinate beef, lemon juice, soy sauce and black pepper for 30 mins to 1 hour. Set aside. Prepare and chop ingredients.
2. In a small pan, sautè garlic and onions until fragrant and soft. Turn off heat. Set aside.
3. In another large pot, add the marinated beef. Pour in sprite, water and sauteed garlic and onions and ground pepper. Cover pot and let it simmer in a medium to low heat until meat is tender. Skim off beef scum that floats on top. If you have extra dried herbs, you may add some as it boils to give the beef broth a good add on flavor. I added a teaspoon of dried basil.
*Notes: normal timeframe to make the beef tender is about 2 hours 20 minutes depending on the beef. If you have pressure cooker it takes about 30 minutes. Add water as needed and occasionally stirring to avoid scorching the bottom.
4. Once the water is reduced, you can pour in the tomato sauce. Stir it from time to time and use low heat.
5. At around 15 to 20 minutes before the beef becomes very tender, add your carrots and let it simmer.
6. Finally, add your bell pepper and sausages and let it cook for additional 2 minutes. Season with patis and salt. Turn off heat. Sprinkle with grated cheese and stir.
7. Turn off heat and transfer to serving bowl. Serve and enjoy!