Healthier option on eating the okra vegetable. Its definitely yummy and crispy. Ideal with a spiced vinegar dipping sauce on the side. Great appetizer!
Fried Okra Munchies
1 kilogram fresh okra, sliced (removed tail and heads)
2 cups flour
1 cup cornstarch
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper
cooking oil, for deep frying
1. Heat cooking oil in a shallow sauce pot for deep frying. Heat oil for about 350°F or 176°C.
2. In a bowl, beat the eggs, until frothy.
Add sliced okra and stir to fully coat.
3. Get another bowl and mix flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Stir until thoroughly combined.
4. Dredge okra munchies in flour mixture until fully coated.
5. Add the coated okra in the pot with hot oil in and cook it by batches. Don’t over crowd because temperature will go down and your okra may not be crispy enough.
6 Deep fry, stirring occasionally, for about 2 to 3 minutes or until golden and crisp.
With a slotted spoon, remove okra from the pot and drain on paper towels.
7 Season with additional salt, if desired.
Serve with ranch dipping sauce, ketchup or spicy vinegar dip, whichever sauce you prefer. It’s yummy and a healthier option. Enjoy!
Notes: if the cooking thermometer is not available, a wooden spoon check is another alternative test. The oil will bubble around the stick if the oil has reached a very hot stage.