This moist butter cake or butter pound cake recipe is made with pure butter. It is moist, soft and fluffy with a hint of vanilla. Very easy and simple ingredients but so delicious. Perfect match to an afternoon tea. It’s hard to resist!
(Recipe updated – August 23, 2020)
Moist Butter Cake Recipe
- 230 grams cake flour, about 1 ⅞ cup (or all purpose flour)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, room temperature (250g)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 5 eggs
- ⅔ cup milk (50ml)
- ½ cup frosty icing, recipe below (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease and line an 7″x 4″x 3.5″
baking pan with baking paper.
- In a mixing bowl and electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and vanilla until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Then, add eggs, one at a time. Add half of the flour and half of the milk. Keep beating in every addition over medium-high speed.
- Do the same for the remaining flour and milk. Transfer mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let it stand for about for 10 minutes.
- Turn cake over onto a wire rack and let it cool completely before frosting. Serve and enjoy!
For the Frosty Icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted (or Confectioners sugar)
- 1 tbsp milk or water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavor
- In a bowl, add 1 cup sifted powdered sugar. Mix in 1 tablespoon milk or water. Stir well to make a smooth frosting. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring or any flavoring you love.
- Makes about ½ cup.