These cream puffs are absolutely tasty, filled with creamy satiny smooth custard filling. Enjoy and happy baking!
Cream Puffs with Custard Filling
1 cup water
¼ tsp salt
½ cup Butterfresh margarine
1 cup all purpose flour
¼ cup custard powder (Puratos brand)
2 cups (625ml) milk (fresh milk/or evap)
2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup condensed milk
1 tablespoon vanilla flavoring
Chocolate Drizzle: melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips + 1 tbsp oil in a double broiler for less than a minute. Turn off heat right away as soon as it melts.
1. Grease a flat tray and line it with baking paper (grease both top and bottom).
2. In a saucepan, add water, salt and butter. Over medium heat, cook this mixture and bring it to a boil. Whisk in all purpose flour, stirring constantly until thick and batter leaves the sides of the pan. Turn off heat. Set aside and let it cool.
3. Once cooled, Beat in eggs one at a time, beat until mixture becomes smooth and thickened. (use hand mixer if possible)
4. Place a pipe bag without a tip on a mug and spoon the batter into the bag.
5. Start piping the batter like a form of beehives on a greased lined flat tray. Bake in preheated oven for about 10-25 minutes at 200°C (400°F).
Please take note: Baking time will vary depending on the size of your puff. The smaller puff will cook in shorter time while bigger ones may take longer. So you need to really watch out how long it may take on your oven.
6. Slit side open with pointed knife to let out the steam. Just a little hole to pipe your filling later. Let it cool.
7. Cook the Custard Filling: Combine custard powder and 1/4 cup of the milk in a bowl or jug/pitcher. Stir until dissolved.
8. In a saucepan, transfer custard mixture, sugar, remaining milk, condensed milk, vanilla flavor and heat over medium-low heat. Stirring occasionally for about 5-10 minutes until custard becomes thicker and you reach your ideal consistency. Not too thick but not too runny. Use a whisk to make it really smooth.
9. Turn off heat and let it cool. Transfer into a piping bag. Fill each puff with custard filling.
10. Lastly drizzle melted chocolate/syrup on top. Serve and enjoy!
Cooking Tips: Mark the baking paper with equal sizes of circle (allow spaces in between). So you can equally measure each size of your puffs when you pipe it on the tray.