Notwithstanding the whipped cream and chopped nuts, this is actually a low-calorie dessert. It doesn’t call for sugar and relies only on the natural sweetness of the buko juice. Eat it without the whipped cream and nuts and it’s still a light and satisfying treat.
BUKO MOLD DELIGHT
1 bar red gulaman
1 buko (or coconut meat), shredded
4 cups buko water (fresh coconut water)
Nuts, chopped (for toppings)
- Break the gulaman into pieces and combine with buko water.
- In a saucepan, simmer the gulaman and buko water over low heat until gulaman is thoroughly dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Stir in shredded buko.
- Pour into individual dessert cups/glasses or any desired mold.
- Chill in the refrigerator for one hour or until set.
- Decorate with whipped cream before serving and sprinkle some chopped caramelized nuts like pili nuts. I used butter-toffee cashews.
- Serve and Enjoy!