Notwithstanding the whipped cream and chopped nuts, this is actually a low-calorie dessert. It doesn’t call for sugar and relies only on the natural sweetness of the buko juice. Eat it without the whipped cream and nuts and it’s still a light and satisfying treat.
1 bar red gulaman
1 buko, meat shredded
4 cups buko water
1. Break the gulaman into pieces and combine with buko water.
2. In a saucepan, simmer the gulaman and buko water over low heat until gulaman is thoroughly dissolved. Remove from heat.
3. Stir in shredded buko.
4. Pour into individual dessert cups/glasses or any desired mold.
5. Chill in the refrigerator for one hour or until set.
6. Decorate with whipped cream before serving and sprinkle some chopped caramelized nuts like pili nuts. I used butter-toffee cashews.