(CHOCOLATE RICE PORRIDGE & SALTY DRIED FISH)
Here is a delectable combination of sweet and salty that is just pure bliss. Creamy, chocolatey, sweet, sticky rice paired with crispy, salty, out-of-this-world smelly dried fish. Only a Filipino could appreciate the exquisite aroma that emanates from “tuyo”. Inside joke, if you know what I mean.
Experiment with the chocolate that you use for the champorado. I used cocoa powder, but for a thicker, more authentic Filipino champorado, tableya (native chocolate) is used. Next time, I will try making it with Mexican tableya. For the budget concious, some would use half rice and half glutinous rice. Other alternatives for cocoa powder is using Milo or Ovaltine! Yes I have tried it before, and it taste delicious too!
You may also want to try our Champorado with Coconut milk recipe.
Celebrated actress, Miss Helen Gamboa makes her champorado using Hershey’s and Cadbury’s chocolate bars. I imagine that makes for an even more luxurious, velvety smooth champorado. Or if you are a lover of Dark Chocolate, that is a good idea too.
Another Champorado twist you can add is with Nestle Cream, or you may also add Chia Seeds! Sounds really yummy now.. Happy cooking!
CHAMPORADO AT TUYO
1 cup glutinous rice (malagkit)
8 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar (adjust if you like it sweet)
6-7 cups water (dry ingredients US cup)
Evaporated milk or condensed milk
1 tbsp vanilla/pandan flavoring, or fresh pandan leaves
1. In a saucepan, put the rice, cocoa powder, sugar and water. Stir together to dissolve cocoa powder and sugar. Turn on heat and let mixture boil. Constant stirring is required to prevent rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan and for the rice grains not to stick together.
2. Upon boiling, reduce heat to simmer. Continue stirring.
3. It is cooked when the texture has thickened and the rice grains have plumped up.
4. Remove from heat and transfer to a serving bowl.
5. Serve hot with a swirl of evaporated or condensed milk and serve together with fried tuyo on the side.
You may also try our:
Thanks for dropping by our website! Do you want to be notified with our latest recipes? Just hit “yes” on the pop up window and allow us to notify you with new recipes everyday.
Did you try cooking one of our recipe? Send us your food photo or feedback. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.