This is a family favorite; often requested by everyone specially on weekend. I’ve made this so many times, that I never have to measure anything. I simply eyeball and adjust for taste.
For our purposes, give or take a smidgen, the following would be my best estimation of the measurements for the recipe. This is a simple but very tasty sandwich filling. You may substitute pickle relish with your favorite fruits like grapes, cranberries, or apples (minced it, of course).
CHICKEN SALAD SANDWICH
1 whole chicken, cut up into several pieces
1 small onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 tablespoons of sweet pickle relish
3/4 cup mayonnaise
Salt & pepper to taste
To boil the chicken:
1 small onion, peeled and cut up into chunks
Several celery leaves
Salt to taste
1. In a large pot of water (add salt, celery leaves and cut up onions), drop the chicken pieces and let boil for 45 minutes.
2. Let the chicken cool before shredding into small pieces. Remove all the bones and put all the shredded meat aside.
3. Save the broth that you boiled the chicken in. Strain it to get a clear chicken broth to use for a different application later, like chicken noodle soup, etc. Put in a tight container and keep in the refrigerator.
4. In a large non-reactive bowl, put the shredded chicken, onion, celery, sweet pickle relish, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Mix together well. Taste and make final adjustment to your liking.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and chill before serving.
6. Best with any kind of bread. Serve with your favorite potato chips and pickles.