Masarap na pulutan!
1 pound fresh squid
2 cups milk
Juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended Tabasco)
2 cups flour
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Vegetable oil, for frying
Lemon wedges, for serving
1. Clean the calamari and cut the bodies into thick rings, reserving the tentacles separately.
2. Mix the milk and lemon juice in a large bowl. Let rest for 5 minutes until thickens. (It will curdle, or you can use buttermilk). Add the hot sauce . Add the calamari and soak in the milk and lemon mixture for up to 4 hours.
3. In a large bowl, mix the flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, paprika and cayenne. Beat the eggs in another bowl.
4. Remove the calamari from the buttermilk and drain. Dip into the beaten eggs, and then the flour mixture.
5. Fill a heavy skillet with 2 cups vegetable oil and heat over medium-high heat to 360 degrees F, or set a deep fryer to 360 degrees F. Fry the calamari in batches, until brown and crispy, about 4 minutes.
6. Place on a plate and pat dry any excess oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
7. Serve with marinara sauce (or spiced vinegar), and lemon wedges.
Adapted from a recipe by Chuck Hughes, of the Cooking Channel.