Sometimes when you’re lazy like me and you don’t want to go through all the trouble of pounding peanuts and toasting rice, then you invoke the aid of your trusty Mama…….Mama Sita’s, of course. Shortcuts in the kitchen using tried and superior quality packaged mixes simply save you time, money and effort. The results are equally fantastic.
2 pounds oxtail (cut into 2 inch pieces)
1 1/2 pounds honeycomb tripe
1 bundle pechay or bokchoy
1 bundle long string beans (cut into 2-inch lengths)
2 pieces eggplant
1 pouch Mama Sita’s Kare-Kare mix
2-3 tablespoons peanut butter
1 teaspoon annatto powder (dissolved in water)
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
2 tablespoons cooking oil
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Cook oxtail in a pot with 1 liter water until tender. Remove scum and impurities that rise to the top.
2. In another pot, boil tripe that has been thoroughly cleaned and washed until tender. Discard water. Slice into rectangular pieces.
3. Heat oil in a large pot and saute garlic and onions.
4. Add boiled oxtail (including liquid), and sliced tripes.
5. Bring to a boil.
6. Pour in kare-kare mix. Simmer until thickened. Then add annatto liquid and peanut butter. Incorporate well.
7. Salt and pepper to taste.
8. Steam vegetables in a skillet with 1 cup water.
9. Serve hot with the steamed vegetables and sauteed shrimp paste.