For the fruit gelatin:
1 can (15.25 ounces) fruit cocktail
1 can (15 ounces) Mandarin oranges
3 packets unflavored gelatin (about 3 tablespoons)
3 tablespoons sugar
1. Drain the fruit cocktail and Mandarin oranges and reserve the syrup.
2. Place drained fruits in a gelatin mold, spreading out evenly. Set aside.
3. In a small saucepan, combine the reserved syrup with water for a total of 3 cups liquid.
4. Add gelatin and sugar. Mix well and let stand for 5 minutes.
5. Place over low heat, stirring continuously until the gelatin and sugar have dissolved completely. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
6. Pour gelatin mixture into mold with fruits.
7. Chill overnight for best results.
Cook’s Note: Depending on how large your gelatin mold is, make necessary adjustment. 1 packet unflavored gelatin per 1 cup liquid. 1 tablespoon sugar per 1 cup liquid.
For the pandan sauce:
6 pandan leaves (substitute with 1 teaspoon pandan essence)
1/2 cup water
1 cup fresh milk (approximately)
1/3 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
green food coloring (if using clear pandan flavoring)
1. Process the pandan leaves and the water in a blender or food processor until the leaves are shredded. Strain. To the strained mixture add enough milk to total 1 1/2 cups liquid. Blend in sugar and set aside.
2. In another saucepan, melt butter then add flour. Use a wire whip to mix. Pour in the milk mixture and continue to cook, stirring from time to time until somewhat thick. Adjust consistency with more milk if necessary. Turn off heat.
3. You can serve the sauce on the side or decorate your gelatin with it.
4. The gelatin mold I used is a ring mold so it is hollow in the middle. So to fill up that space I piled sliced peaches in it and added a few maraschino cherries for color.
Cook’s Note: If you’re using pandan essence as substitute then you just combine water, milk and pandan essence, making a total of 1 1/2 cups liquid. Blend in sugar and set aside. Then continue on to Step 2.
Another thing, if your pandan flavoring is clear, you need to add a few drops of green food coloring to the milk mixture before cooking.