Kimchi or Kimchee is a traditional Korean side dish made from fermented vegetables like napa cabbage, radish, and cucumber with spicy seasonings.
It is also used as an ingredient in main dishes like kimchi stew, kimchi soup, and what you see here, Kimchi Fried Rice, to name a few.
Surprisingly, the fried rice came out mildly spicy. And the spam, gives it a nice balance in texture and flavor.
Next time, I would pair it with some crispy dried fish like jeprox or dried anchovies.
If you love rice, like I do…..this one’s a home run.
KIMCHI FRIED RICE
3 cups of cooked rice
1 cup kimchi, chopped
1/2 can spam, minced
1/2 white or red onion, minced
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 scallion (spring onion), chopped
1 egg per serving
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Heat up the oil in a wok or large frying pan.
2. Add the spam, onion and garlic. Stir-fry for about 4 minutes on medium heat.
3. Put in the rice and mix well. Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce.
4. Add the kimchi to the wok and combine well. Stir-fry for about 8 more minutes.
5. Salt and pepper to taste.
6. Fry the egg in a separate pan. Best cooked with a runny yolk, either sunny side-up or over-easy.
7. Plate the cooked fried rice and top with the fried egg and some chopped scallions for garnish.
You may also try our:
Did you try cooking this recipe? Send us your food photo. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.
You may also post it in your own timeline publicly: Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and hashtag us #MamasGuideRecipes. Thanks a lot for supporting our website and help other friends discover great recipes.