Kimchi or Kimchee is a traditional Korean side dish made from fermented vegetables like napa cabbage, radish, and cucumber with spicy seasonings.
It is also used as an ingredient in main dishes like kimchi stew, kimchi soup, and what you see here, Kimchi Fried Rice, to name a few.
Surprisingly, the fried rice came out mildly spicy. And the spam, gives it a nice balance in texture and flavor.
Next time, I would pair it with some crispy dried fish like jeprox or dried anchovies. If you love rice, like I do…..this one’s a home run.
KIMCHI FRIED RICE RECIPE
- 3 cups of cooked rice
- 1 cup kimchi, chopped
- 1/2 can spam, minced
- 1/2 white or red onion, minced
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 scallion (spring onion), chopped
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Sesame oil
- Heat up the oil in a wok or large frying pan.
- Add the spam, onion and garlic. Stir-fry for about 4 minutes on medium heat.
- Put in the rice and mix well. Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce.
- Add the kimchi to the wok and combine well. Stir-fry for about 8 more minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Create a hole in the center of the wok, add the beaten egg in the center. Let it cook for a minute and toss well. Drizzle with sesame oil and toss. Turn off heat.
- Plate the cooked fried rice and some chopped scallions for garnish. Enjoy!
YOU MAY ALSO TRY OUR:
Kimchi Recipe (Pinoy Style)