5 tablespoons olive oil
6 tablespoons rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 pounds chicken, thighs & drumsticks ( 6 thighs & 6 drumsticks)
1/2 medium orange, cut into 6 very thin slices and cut into half moons
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and arrange rack in the middle.
2. In a large bowl, mix together 1/4 cup of the oil, rosemary, salt, red pepper flakes, and freshly ground black pepper. Add chicken pieces and turn to coat well. Slip 1 piece of orange under skin of each piece.
3. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and butter in a cast iron skillet or large frying pan over medium high heat until butter foams.
4. Working in batches, add 3 or 4 chicken pieces (don’t overcrowd the pan) and brown on both sides until skin is crisp and golden, about 2 to 3 minutes per batch. As chicken is finished, place in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
5. Once all the chicken has browned, place in oven to roast until juices run clear when pricked with a knife, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe by Aida Mollenkamp